Monday, February 2, 2009

The 2 Types of "Popular"

The word "popular" is tossed around alot in high school. It can totally mess with people's heads. For some kids, all they want to do is be popular. And they let that take a hold of their life.

First type of popular:
The "I've got all this money, I have nice things, I'm big headed, etc." person
And they really bother me. Yeah, it may be because I'm not one of them, but I'm PERFECTLY OK with that. I don't want to be that person. It always seems as if that kind of "popular" person is the one that people "look up to". I think it's ridiculous. Yeah, they may have things you want, but it gets to them. Those kids are usually stereotyped as the "partiers", the kids who always seem to be having the good time. And they make you feel bad about having what you have.

Second type of popular:
The regular, well known person. People know who you are. It's not about having all of that expensive, nice stuff. It's not about partying. You make yourself well known, people like you, anything relating to that. If that's the case, you're that kind of popular.

Obviously, this is just my opinion. But the "popular" stereotype that everybody goes by these days really bothers me. It makes some kids feel bad about themselves, which isn't cool. There's making yourself well known by being a jerk and flaunting around what you have to others less fortunate, but then there's making yourself well known in the positive way.

And if you didn't catch my drift already, I'm in support of Option #2.

No comments:

Post a Comment